Tuesday 19 March 2013

All change


All change

I have discovered recently why I like change, its because change releases us from the past, or at least it can.
I have for a long time had a dislike for the seeming permanence of books When Dr Benjamin Spok ,not the Startreck one, Changed his views on child rearing and rewrote his books to reflect his new stance many of his readers were left with guilt for having tried to follow his earlier work. Not his fault just the way things were, early sixties I think. Its all changed now. 
                 We have e books with an e book like a website if you want to change something in the light of new knowledge you can, it may be ten seconds after or ten years later! it can be changed. This of course does require a radical rethink about how we pass on information. I have become in recent times a storyteller using a medium called Kamishibai
Japanese Picture card theatre performed traditionally from the back of a bike. I use/recycle old stories and occasionally create my own, Kamishibai uses Picture cards as well as props acting and all the theatricality I can introduce, and here’s the clincher for me I can change it every time I tell it.
Not just the dialogue but the pictures indeed the whole direction of the story .I make the pictures using a digital camera, some painting ( very little) and Coral draw painting package to stitch it all together. Between getting the idea for the picture and printing it can be as little as ten minutes .Its printed to size then Laminated to keep out the rain and stiffen it up like the original cards. Some don't like the glossy finish but you can get matt laminate envelops too.
I get some of my best ideas whilst telling/acting out the story and have to be quick to notice them Why embrace change? It feels right we change so why shouldn't our stories/lives. Its not just about accepting change its doing something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment