Wednesday 9 November 2011

I got on one of my long term Hobby horse's today "The design stage" Started in school as your rough book, you scribbled down your ideas randomly crossed bits out Then the ultimate indignity you had to write it out neatly for the teacher to read and Mark! All the lost trails crossing outs meanders in mind space gone and with my handwriting I was lucky to get a B, I have always, well sometimes, regarded myself as A Plus material.
       For years I did not write a thing, until computers came along, I love the ability to save multiple drafts ( the crossing outs ect) To move text around its more efficient. I can store it, and that nuisance that always breaks the pencil, and its friend the paper, poor dead tree! are gone. So when I make things I just start making them its what we do in a conversation its unique, the ideas that come along are seamlessly incorporated into the creation be it poem or Clown car. Trouble is not everyone thinks like this, writers in particular , The desire to organise and design seems to be sapping organisations energy things/ideas never seem to get past this design stage.
       The Arts council for instance want all the artists to describe what they do before they do it even though a painting or a performance or even a talk on the phone would describe it better. We are obsessed with the design stage. "The more I do the more I want to do", I believe the Bard said something similar about something totaly differnt. Rant over
         The Pic is Michelle transporting her new office Chair by bike from Gateshead to Newcastle look at all the abandoned cars!




No comments:

Post a Comment